“X-Men: Days of Future Past” summer hit

Kayla Grizzle, Staff Writer

The summer blockbuster “X-Men: Days of Future Past” lives up to its predecessors. It’s funny, emotional and downright entertaining.

Earning $111 million at the box office on its opening weekend, the newest installment of the “X-Men” series beat out “The Amazing Spiderman 2” ($91 million) and “Godzilla” ($93 million).

To put it simply, “Days of Future Past” focuses on Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) being sent back in time by Kitty Pryde (Ellen Page) to save mutants from a future where they are becoming extinct due to robots, which are programmed to hunt and kill them.

Most of the film focuses on characters from the previous installment of the series, “X-Men: First Class,” including younger versions of Magneto (Eric Fassbender), Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence), Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) and Beast (Nicholas Hoult).

The most refreshing part of the movie is not only does the audience get to see “First Class” characters they grew to love, but they also get a glimpse of familiar characters from earlier X-Men movies.

While the movie shows that old Magneto (Ian McKellen) and old Professor X (Patrick Stewart) are far less prominent, it gave the feel of a nice high school reunion, meeting up with old friends and rehashing past fun.

The seriousness of the old crew mixed with the lively, funny new characters gave the movie a hilarious, yet intense vibe, as X-men usually does.

The emergence of new characters such as Quicksilver (Evan Peters), who had the audience laughing and clapping in every one of his scenes, and the evil Dr. Trask (Peter Dinklage), who is simply an amazing actor, sucked the audience in and only added to its already all-star cast.

“Days of Future Past” walks the line between big blockbuster film and serious emotional acting not usually found in an action movie.

The X-Men movies have gotten progressively better with each new addition and “Days of Future Past” is no exception.

The only downside is the long wait for the next installment, “X-Men: Apocalypse,” which, if “Days of Future Past” is any indication, will be a must-see movie.