Springtime fun at De Anza Carnival

Madhav Srivastava, 19, business major, said he predicts
he’ll be “dunked” in the tank at least 30 times today.
“… Why not? It’s a hot day.”

Cassie Reynoso

Madhav Srivastava, 19, business major, said he predicts he’ll be “dunked” in the tank at least 30 times today. “… Why not? It’s a hot day.”

Chris Padilla, Staff Writer

The smell of spun sugar, the sound of loud music, a pink lady on stilts and the prospect of sending a guy plummeting into the water drew students to the Main Quad for the annual Spring Carnival on May 15.

Even before the event started, students lined up for cotton candy, balloons and the nine carnival-style games set up around the library fountain.

The games included an Angry Birds-themed dart-launching game, head-to-head electronic basketball shootouts and a putting game, as well as classic carnival standbys, the high-striker and the dunk tank.

Though the games were mostly for atmosphere, students could also acquire punch cards that would be punched at each game.

Four games would net a spin on a prize wheel, to win gift cards for Starbucks or Jamba Juice or tickets to “Dancing with the Stars;” the spring dance taking place Friday, June 6.

Students also received a consolation prize: a bottle of ice-cold water.

Though the carnival went well, a few issues surfaced.

“I wish I would have known that it would have been hotter, since the bounce house was a little scorching,” said Omer Yosef, 18, media studies and communications major.

“… Why not? It’s a hot day.”

Technical difficulties with both the high-striker and the dunk tank were resolved fairly quickly.

The boxing arena/bounce house had a deflating issue.

“We try to take that [carnival] environment, except when you lose your money and make sure everyone is having fun,” said Yosef, the ICC Chair of Programs.

“It’s not even about the prizes,” he said. “It’s about everyone coming together for the common goal of having fun.”

The balloonist was a surprise hit.

According to the ICC adviser La Donna Yumori-Kaku, “the Spring Carnival is an opportunity for students to relax and unwind from their midterms.”

Even with the sun blazing down on the carnival and many students walking around with their consolatory bottle of water, the quad was full of cheerful energy.