Determination shown by women’s basketball as tough season concludes

Thomas Anthony

Freshman forward/guard Hannah Lee, freshman guard Valerie Batino, sophomore guard/forward Sophia Rodriguez, and sophomore guard Doryn Gomez assume defensive positions during the Feb. 22 game against Hartnell.

Maryam Golkar, Staff Reporter

The 2018-2019 women’s basketball season has come to a close with De Anza College attaining a final standing of 4-19 for their overall record and 1-9 for their conference record.

A rough season was underlined by the loss of eight players due to injury and academic reasons.

An initial roster of 14 players was brought down to six, which ultimately left a tough job on hand for head coach Michael Allen to ensure the team remained competitive in each game.

Expectations were largely different at the start of the season, with possibilities of the playoffs touted.

“Going into the 2018-19 season, we had a strong pre-season and competed at a high level in our showcase games,” said Allen.

“With nine freshman coming in, it was definitely exciting considering when I took over the program we had only five players for most of the 2017-2018 season.”

However, Allen was adamant that his focus was in the long term, and the challenges this season only served to build a stronger culture.

“Rebuilding the culture, community and women’s basketball program continues to be my joy in knowing where we are headed and where we will be in the coming future,” said Allen.

“There was a lot of adversity and unexpected things that have happened this season,” he said. “The culture is shifting in the understanding that we are fighters, lead by example and never give up despite the opposition.”

Allen’s constant avocation of determination showed in games throughout the season, as they pushed many teams close and were unfortunate to see their efforts end up in losses, with a close 68-64 loss to Hartnell College in the final season game acting as a perfect example.

Despite the hardships faced this season, Allen continues to be positive, with high hopes of success next year, as the future looks bright.

“There are seven prospects that have expressed interest in coming next season and with those returning, we should be even stronger next season,” Allen said.