Women’s soccer v. Hartnell 11/8/13

The De Anza College women’s soccer team rallied during the second half to win 3-2 against Hartnell College on Friday, Nov. 8.

Freshman forward Madlyn Kelly scored a goal halfway through the first half, but Hartnell quickly countered for the tie.

“The first half was about equal,” head coach Cheryl Owiesny said. “We didn’t play out sharpest during the first half.”

At the start of the second half, Hartnell drove up the field and scored for a 2-1 lead over the Dons.

The game turned around when De Anza began to clean up mistakes they made in the first half.

“[De Anza needed to] distribute the ball among the players and make sure that one player did not hold on to the ball for too long,” Owiesny said.

Sophomore forward Mayra Nava scored 20 minutes into the half, tying the game and freshman Celena Vasquez scored an additional goal afterwards.

For the remainder of the game, the ball stayed in De Anza terriotory, but freshman goalkeeper Alexia Flippen managed to block all of Hartnell’s attempts to tie up the game.