US Bank opens branch on campus located at De Anza Bookstore

Adrian Discipulo

Bookstore director Kelly Ann Swanson (left) and US Bank branch manager Hannah Nguyen cut a ribbon to celebrate the grand opening.

Yujin Chong, News Editor

U.S. Bank, De Anza College Branch, celebrated its grand opening with ribbon-cutting, cake, giveaways and prizes on Thursday, Oct. 8.

The only bank on campus, the full service branch is located in the back of the De Anza College Bookstore, able to service everything from money orders to official checks to international wiring, just as any general branch, despite its smaller location.

The team of five tellers and personal bankers will provide banking services in the branch, led by branch manager Hannah Nguyen, who has been with U.S. Bank for nine years.

“We’re working with different departments here at De Anza to teach financial wellness to students, to help students understand how to manage accounts, along with the responsibilities that come with individual accounts,” Nguyen said.

Replacing the previous banking service on campus, Higher One, U.S. Bank advertises many benefits for particularly its younger customers for banking and financial services on campus.

U.S. Bank has an ongoing promotion for college students in which clients can go online and check their credit for free, effective until December.

The Foothill-De Anza Board of Trustees first approved U.S. Bank’s plan to open a mini-branch in the campus bookstore in October 2013. The bank’s services have been available all summer, and its grand opening was a promotional event to raise student awareness of its services.

Higher One bank is still working with some outlets in Financial Aid. Ngyuen said U.S. Bank is aiming to help students avoid unnecessary fees by working with financial aid departments as well.

U.S. Bank’s website lists several perks in its current student checking account. The bank does not have a monthly fee as long as a student signs up for paperless statements; there is no minimum balance; students get four free non- U.S. Bank ATM transactions per month and through the U.S. Bank smartphone app students can take care of almost any type of bank transaction.

“We focus our efforts on college customers. We are here to serve the students,” Nguyen said.