DASB budget: no big increases, some cuts

Imran Najam, Staff Writer

The DASB senate approved a small increase in funding to De Anza College’s Tutorial and Academic Skills Center, matching the college’s backing, but senators said they want the college to fully take over funding the program.

Senators discussed this and other changes to the DASB budget guidelines set by the finance committee at its weekly meeting Wednesday, Feb. 11.

The tutorial and academic skills center had requested $202,431 allotment, but the senate authorized only $162,785, which matched the De Anza’s financing.

“Last year, the senate decided not to fully fund the honors program because they thought it was something for the college to take on as far as the funds,” said DASB senator Pedro Enriquez, 23, philosophy major. “Matching the funding to what the school gives is actually a statement. It’s to say ‘Hey you know what, we shouldn’t have the burden and it’s the responsibility of the school to fully fund this program.’”

The LEAD Program, which promotes Latino culture and developing leadership in the community, requested $44, 860 double its last year’s budget, but received an increase of $3,000 to $25,500.

Other programs including Camp Wellstone, the Sankofa Scholar Program, and the Women, Gender and Sexualities Center, which had asked for significant increases to their budgets, received the same amount of funding as last year.

Athletics had sought to increase its total budget 58 percent to $149,000, but received only two small increases — $1,000 for the baseball program and $500 for women’s badminton.

The DASB senate rejected the Multi-Cultural Center’s request for $12,810, and approving only $3,537. The request would have provided a secretary position for the MCC.

The DASB Bicycle Program received a 132 percent increase, from $12,111 to $29,126, which will be used to purchase more bikes.

The senate endorsed the allocation of $30,000 to a new ECO Project Fund.

The fund will be open to any student who has a proposal related to environmental issue, said senator Oscar Cruz, 21, international relations major and chair of environmental sustainability who spearheaded the project.

“They can get their projects funded, it’s like a Kickstarter,” Cruz said. “This is going to create an atmosphere for students to start getting involved with sustainability.”