Changes made in response to sexual assault

qCampus groups have begun to address security and attempt to remove the stigma surrounding sexual assault in reaction to the reported sexual assault that occurred Nov. 4.

Groups are responding by reviewing and increasing security on campus.

The De Anza College Police have increased the number of patrol checks in buildings around campus performed each day, according to Ron Levine, Foothill De Anza District police chief.

Students have also begun to notice ways to improve safety.

“The sexual assault draws attention to what could be done to make the campus safer,” said Caleb Haddad, 21, philosophy major. “I noticed the current lack of lighting on campus.”

The DASB Senate and the office of equity are responding by hosting community dialogues and summits on campus.

The first dialogue was held on Tuesday, Nov. 19 and it addressed creating a safe space at De Anza.

“The hopeful outcome is greater awareness about rape and sexual assault,” said Edmundo Norte, dean of intercultural and international studies.

Members of the community gathered to talk about what rape and sexual assault are, and the root causes associated with them.

At the event, attendees were given packets that contained tips for self-protection and hints on how to help victims who come forward.

Presenters also spoke about creating a community where students and faculty are willing to talk about sexual assault.

“Communities that talk about sexual assault issues move away from condoning it,” said Stacie Rowe, the 19-year-old DASB Senate president.

The Office of Equity is working on creating a larger safety and inclusion campaign that includes sexual violence forums and provides support for student initiatives, said director Veronica Neal.

To open the sexual assault forum DASB senate President Stacie Rowe shared a statement on her personal experience with rape and victim blaming. To read that statement in its entirety see page 6.