De Anza catcher influences team, youth with energetic play

Wendy Myvett, Staff Writer

Basketball shorts, a black t-shirt, long socks and worn-down baseball shoes are all the signs of a player fresh off the field.

Danny Molinari, 19, political science major, walks in the De Anza College cafeteria on a fresh Tuesday evening after a game against Chabot College. They lost the game, but Molinari seems to be in good spirits.

“We lost our game tonight but I think we’ll come back Thursday,” Molinari said referring to the Dons’ game at Chabot College on Thursday, April 14.

At the age of 12, Danny gained an interest in baseball from watching his cousin’s little league game.

“It was my first time ever going to a baseball game and I just fell in love with the game after that day,” he said. “I’ve been playing ever since.”

Baseball, however, was not always the sport Danny was dedicated to. In his early childhood years he played soccer from ages 5 to 12.

While he is highly dedicated to his team, Danny is also an active member of the community. Along with assistant coach Davis McClellan, he coaches a youth, travel ball team, organized by McClellan.

I like the idea of helping out and also learning from the kids,” he said of his coaching experience. “I often see them make some of the mistakes I made as a younger player. By helping them correct their mistakes I also learn from them.”

Although baseball is a big part of Molinari’s life, he has an inclination toward the arts. Molinari said that playing music sooths him and helps him relax.

I often see them make some of the mistakes I made as a younger player. By helping them correct their mistakes I also learn from them.

— Danny Molinari, Sophomore catcher on helping young athletes

“A lot of people don’t know this about me, but I really like playing the piano,” he said. “In my down time I really enjoy just sitting down and trying to come out with a few notes or something.”

Family also plays an important role in Danny’s life. He says that the two things that are both inspirational and influential in his life are his parents and his faith.

“My faith also inspires me to be a better person,” he said. “My dad is always at the games. Whether it’s an away game or home game he’s they’re supporting me.”

On the field Danny has the support of his coaches as well as teammates.

“Danny brings an energy with him to the field that inspires the team,” said teammate Alex Zarate, 20, kinesiology major. “He’s a player who responds to adversity well and that has influenced the team.”

Head assistant coach Bryan Richer said that Danny is a hard working player and that his work ethic paired with the team’s willingness as a whole to improve is what brought them to winning 19 games this season.

As for the remainder of the 2016 season, Molinari believes the Dons can win the conference finals.

“As a team, we are resilient,” he said. “Although right now we are at a low point after losing some key games, for the most part I think we will be fine if we continue to feed of each other’s positive energy. Our chances of winning conference and making playoffs are pretty high.”

Standing on the Dons’ field for batting practice before his game against Chabot, Danny reminisces on his favorite baseball memory.

“Making playoff last year has to top all of my past baseball memories,” he said. “It was the first playoff run De Anza has had in 20 years.

“Being a part and contributing to this team and this program is definitely a great experience.”