The voice of De Anza since 1967.

The voice of De Anza since 1967.

The voice of De Anza since 1967.

Teenagers should read more books

Social media and instant gratification have taken the benefits and joys of reading from the younger generation
Katrina Bui
An illustration of an anthropomorphic flower reading while sitting on top of a stack of books.

Nowadays teenagers are opening their textbooks less and less, and not reading much. Scrolling through social media and watching YouTube became the alternative source of dopamine, and the joy of living in the moment and observing life is slowly dying in the age of social media.
Teenagers should read books for a multitude of reasons that contribute to their personal, intellectual and emotional development:

Cognitive development: Reading enhances cognitive abilities such as critical thinking, problem-solving and analytical skills, which can help in learning new material.

Academic success: Reading improves academic performance across all subjects. It enhances comprehension and writing skills, and expands knowledge in various domains, aiding in better grades and academic achievements.

Empathy and understanding: Books offer insights into diverse cultures, perspectives and human experiences, fostering empathy and understanding. Through characters and narratives, teenagers can relate to others’ emotions and experiences, enhancing their social and emotional intelligence.

Stress reduction and mental health: Reading is a healthy escape from the stresses of daily life. It provides relaxation, reduces anxiety and promotes mental well-being by transporting readers to different worlds and experiences. And let me tell you: it’s so much better than watching a YouTube video after a long day of school/college/work. When your eyes are tired, but you don’t want to go to sleep yet, reading can help you to relax your body before going to bed.

Creativity and imagination: Reading stimulates creativity and imagination by exposing teenagers to new ideas, perspectives and possibilities. It encourages them to think creatively and envision alternative realities, fueling innovation and self-expression.

Improved communication skills: Exposure to a wide range of writing styles and genres enhances teenagers’ communication skills. They learn to articulate their thoughts more effectively, express themselves eloquently and communicate with clarity and precision. This is especially helpful when answering questions in front of the class, or expressing your opinion during the conversation. You will feel much more confident about your speech.

Lifelong learning and personal growth: Cultivating a habit of reading fosters a lifelong love for learning and personal growth. It instills curiosity, a thirst for knowledge, and a desire for self-improvement, empowering teenagers to succeed in various aspects of their lives.

Reading enriches teenagers’ lives in numerous ways, equipping them with the tools to navigate adolescence and beyond.

One of De Anza’s theater professors, Liz Stimson, said that reading helps her to organize the classroom better, which helps students too, since it’s easy to remember material.

“Reading for me is a conversation. And acting is all about conversation,” Stimson said. “I like to plan everything, that’s why I read textbooks at home and on the day of a class, I am ready to share this plan with my students. They also work in pairs afterward, and overall have better results memorizing after practicing.”

Semi-retired De Anza English faculty member, Lita Kurth, said that reading is a joyous treat for her.

“I love to read novels and poetry and memoirs and enter other worlds and other minds,” Kurth said.

Ultimately, reading is not just a skill; it’s a gateway to endless possibilities, enlightenment and personal enrichment. Teenagers should put down their phones and read a book for their own good.