De Anza’s Office of Equity’s ‘Study Sessions’ event creates space for students to stay connected

Graphics by Andrea Infante

Andrea Infante, Reporter

De Anza’s Office of Equity “Study Sessions” event discussed issues from TV shows on Netflix, favorite movies, and the downside of online classes on April 29.
Hosted by the Office of Equity interns, Loan-Anh Pham and Gabrielle Acuna, the event aimed to provide a space for social interactions, community building, and resources for students taking courses remotely.
“We’re all at home, some of us may be home alone, or some of us may be in an environment that we don’t want to be in. And I want to be able to provide that for people,” Acuna said.
When on campus, Acuna said that the Office of Equity is normally a space for students to hang out, but with the current circumstances, they seek to provide that same environment through the online event.
The lack of services and removal of the usual campus environment, along with minimal interaction during Zoom classes and a sudden shift to online, have disrupted students’ usual mode of learning.
“I think the biggest struggle is honestly feeling alone,” said Pham. “Online classes make it very hard to connect with other students even in like friendly ways.”
During the hour-long zoom meeting, students introduced themselves and were able to connect through the common interests of Korean dramas, the difficulty of sheltering in place, and not being able to see friends.
Depending on the students’ inquiries, interns were accommodating to direct students to resources or people in relevance to their situation.
Acuna said that the approach was specific to the person and their situation.
“I will try to direct them to people that can help them,” she said.
The Office of Equity plans to have similar study sessions twice a month, with the upcoming one being on May 13 from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Pham said she loved meeting new people through the event. “I think it’s a great way to build friendships and just get out there.”