Injured capitan leads from sideline

De Anza football running back and captain Nick Bernardo suffered a season-ending injury this year. He remains a presence on the team as a vocal leader and running back instructor. He plans to return for the Dons’ 2016 season.

Jessica Howell, Assistant Sports Editor

Football is more than a hobby. For some, it’s a lifestyle and a family tradition.

That applies to Nick Bernardo, 20, sophomore, returned for his second season as the Dons’ starting running back and co-captain.

“I eat, breathe, sleep, football,” said Bernardo.

His football career began at the age of 7, when his family introduced him to Pop Warner, a competitive and nationwide, youth football organization. Bernardo then played at Oak Grove High School, following in the footsteps of his father and uncles’.

“That meant a lot, playing at Oak Grove,” said Bernardo. “I’ve always grown up being the water boy since I was like 5 years old there.”

Tradition entails many odd things from family to family, but for Bernardo tradition involved tattooing a scorpion on his left calf.

It started when his father and uncle’s high school team were having a rough season. One night, intoxicated and inspired by the eighties rock band, Scorpions, they each tattooed a scorpion on their left calf. Later that season, they went on to win the Central Coast Section Championship.

Bernardo became a Don after high school, played a full year last year and was ready to build on it this season. Unfortunately, his season took a disheartening turn when he dislocated his elbow and tore four ligaments during a goal line drill during practice.

“This one was probably one of the most devastating injuries for me,” said Bernardo. “Just cause this was (sic) supposed to be like a pretty big year for me, I really wanted to come back out here and win for them (De Anza)”

Bernardo said the recovery time of the injury is not exact.

“The coaches are really pushing for me to come back for the last couple games,” Bernardo said.

If Bernardo cannot make his way back on the field before the end of the season, he will take his medical red shirt, making him eligible to return next year.

“I’m not going to leave without getting that (scholarship), I have my mind set,” Bernardo said. “I’ve been working really hard for a long time and I’m not going to give up now.”

When Bernardo was on the field, he led by example, now he is more of a vocal presence for the running backs.

“I actually pay attention to them and help them out after they do a series or two,” Bernardo said.

Aside from football, Bernardo is an avid fisherman and a member of Bass-n-Tubes, a northern-California fisherman’s club. He and his father (also a member) fish in tournaments every month, primarily bass.

“That’s like my hobby right now, it calms me,” Bernardo said.

The love Nick Bernardo has for football is apparent as soon as you speak with him. He takes a lot of pride in following the football traditions set before him.

Nick Bernardo wanted to thank his coaches Atencio, Swall, Johnson, Santos and Lango.