De Anza women’s basketball wins in overtime

Dons victorious in thriller against Mission College Saints

De Anza womens basketball wins in overtime

Jirla Salvador, Staff Writer

The De Anza College women’s basketball team survived a neck-and-neck match against the Mission College Saints, beating them 78-71 in overtime on Friday Jan. 9.

Within the first few seconds of the game, sophomore guard Kaitlin Leguidleguid scored a clean three-point basket to jumpstart De Anza.

The Saints quickly scored, but the Dons were right on there tail with Leguidleguid scoring the first 10 points for De Anza College.

With great teamwork and hustle, the Dons ended the first half of the game with a tied score, 34-34.

In the beginning of the second half, Mission College immediately scored two baskets. But sophomore forward Madison Michelis, freshman point guard Lauren Lete and freshman guard Tiffany Raczynski did not let that faze them, scoring a total of nine points and giving the Dons their first lead at 43-42.

Late in the second half, De Anza College and Mission College scored back and forth, ending the game with another tie of 65-65, leading to overtime.

With the fans on the edge of their seats, Lete scored the final two free throws, giving De Anza College the win.

After playing an exciting game with a total of 18 points and four assists, Lete had a great end to the game as well.

“I think I can do better” Lete said “But coming out in the second half, I did the best I could do under the circumstances, I think it was a great team win. We came out united tonight and we just didn’t give up.”

When asked for the secret to the team’s victory, coach Megan Hankins said, “It was just us trying to keep doing what we do well and not try to worry about anything else to distract us from our goal.”

The next De Anza women’s basketball game is on Friday Jan. 30 at 5 p.m. against Monterey Peninsula College.