Gender equality in social media: #ASKHERMORE

Kayla Jimenez, Staff Writer

Entertainment based media outlets need to re-evaluate the topics they assign to reporters who interview female public figures in order to catch up with the progression of gender equality. Recent trending social media hashtag #ASKHERMORE is one step toward a breakthrough.

Millennial college students watch award shows that often aim to celebrate, but generally misrepresent, devalue and oversexualize female actresses and artists who mold the entertainment industry.

As powerful and influential women are brought to the forefront of mass media, it is in the hands of our generation to utilize social media hashtags as a prominent outlet to promote awareness and shine a light on public issues surrounding gender equality.

#ASKHERMORE, a representation project launched in April, 2011 to address inequality in the interviewing of actresses and artists on red carpet award shows, re-erupted over social media in consideration of  the Music Television Movie Awards last Sunday.

The campaign aims to address topics about which artists and actresses are most often inquired; most commonly including appearance, wardrobe, fitness and family in comparison to profession and goal driven questions asked of men at the same event.

Various celebrities joined the project, with the biggest backlash occurring at the 87th Academy Awards.

Reese Witherspoon took to her Instagram account to publicly speak about the way journalists ask her about the couture she is wearing rather than celebrating her work in the films that the award show focuses on.

Actresses Lena Dunham, Kristen Bell and Gina Rodriguez supported Witherspoon with their own posts, including the hashtag on their social media accounts.

With Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign announcement early last week, it is not unlikely that she will be swarmed with campaign questions similar to those commonly asked on red carpet award shows.

One of the most common questions to be expected: how will she run the country with a new grandchild by daughter Chelsea Clinton.

It can be easily argued that a man would not be asked this question, but rather about his goals for the nation.
In an effort to guarantee equal representation for the upcoming presidential election, it is necessary that #ASKHERMORE is only the forefront of the shift toward equality.

It is time for a change in the way women are questioned in all public fields including, but not limited to, politics, sports and entertainment.

#ASKHERMORE may focus directly on women questioned for frivolity on the red carpet, but it ultimately addresses the need for more women on editorial positions of media campaigns.

The movement encourages media consumers to bring this issue to light, and a change in the conversation.

It is time to focus on the talents, passions, dedication and intelligence of women in the forefront of the public eye because we’re not going to advance in social change by focusing about what shade of nail polish she has on.