DASB Presidental Election Candidates: Carlos Duran

Rachel Shin, Staff Reporter

As a former foster youth who lived in three states, moved to six different cities, and attended nine different schools prior to college, Carlos Duran, 19, science nursing major, is one of the 3 percent of foster children who will receive a bachelor’s degree, according to the Stuart Foundation.

He is determined to influence campus as DASB president.

In the fall of 2015, Duran got involved with DASB, working to improve campus life and gaining new perspectives of the campus environment. Following his involvement, Duran’s contributions on DASB prompted him to pursue representing the De Anza student body.

“What I learned these past few years working with our students was that no perspective was less valuable nor greater than another,” Duran said. “We strived for creating the best environment to promote student empowerment.”

Duran’s strong belief in safety and fair representation motivated him to campaign for a student-centered stance    one that will contribute to an improved community environment.

Duran values all opinions of De Anza students equally to reflect the diverse student body. He also prioritizes DASB’s active involvement in student projects and supporting all students on campus.

“I’ve been a student at De Anza for two years, and I absolutely love it. The people are pleasant, the campus is beautiful and there are so many other things that contribute to the learning environment,” Duran said. He said he plans on staying for a while longer and making a positive impact on campus for current and future students.