Active Shooter Training: Student workshops begin this week

Duane Soubirous, Staff Writer

De Anza students may be interested in attending workshops offered this week by the FHDA Police, in light of recent mass shootings happening on college campuses.

“Run – Hide – Defend” training classes are being offered to students after faculty and staff attended trainings last week.

The following are tips from a faculty training on Thursday, Oct. 29:

In the case of a campus emergency, FHDA police said students using cellphones should call (408) 924-8000. 911 calls from cellphones have to be locally rerouted, which costs precious time.

Foothill and De Anza colleges have an emergency notification system; to register, students and faculty should log in MyPortal and click “Configure Your Emergency Notification Preferences.” Notifications will be sent out as a text message.

The police presenters organized their points framework of run, hide, and defend.

Run

If you receive an emergency notification about a shooting, but don’t hear any gunshots, the best thing to do is to run away from campus. Run in an unpredictable zig-zag pattern, so that if you are in view of the shooter, it is harder for him to aim.

Hide

If you hear gunshots, but do not know where they are coming from, it is best to stay where you are and hide; running away could lead you to where the shooter is. When hiding, be sure to keep away from doors and windows, remain quiet, and text for help. Also, if someone knocks on the classroom door and identifies himself as a police officer, do not believe that he is.

Defend

Defense is the best action when the gunman is coming for your classroom. Do not cluster together. Spreading out increases the number of targets for the shooter, thus decreasing time spent shooting. Barricade the classroom entry with overturned desks, making it harder for the shooter to enter. Ideally, there is a way for students to escape while others stay behind and attack the shooter with classroom objects like tables, chairs and fire extinguishers.

be interested in attending workshops offered this week by the FHDA Police, in light of recent mass shootings happening on college campuses.