Baylands festival halted

Fernanda Pineda, Staff Writer

The DASB Senate voted April 15 to freeze all Baylands Festival account and funds to define details regarding a proposed alternative plan.

The controversial funding of the Baylands Festival, approved by the DASB Senate on Feb. 18, had opponents and supporters in attendance at Wednesday’s meeting.

The Senate had previously approved a $25,080 budget for the event.

Opponents claimed that the money can be better spent on campus programs that endorse students.

Supporters said the money will be reimbursed, the bike program will benefit and a music festival culture will be established at De Anza College.

Senators Mina Aslan and Pedro Alberto Enriquez discussed an alternate plan to downsize the event and cut costs to make it sustainable.

“The festival is using more resources than is needed,” Aslan said.

She and Enriquez urged senators to “work for student interests.”

Their plan is to have the festival in the Visual Performing Arts Center rather than in the Sunken Garden. This would reduce capacity from 3,000 to 400.

The availability of the VPAC for June 13, the scheduled date and for the festival, was not known.

The senate decided to freeze the accounts and funds until it reaches a decision.

Instead of having musical group Los Rakas perform, Aslan and Enriquez proposed having De Anza clubs provide entertainment at the festival.

Security and insurance costs could be reduced and the costs of portable toilets, ambulance and fencing would be eliminated.

Julia Malakiman, DASB president, said the festival would be less than 1.5 percent of the senate budget.

Baylands Festival has already been publicized in the Cupertino Earth Day Festival; flyers and banners have been made and prominent members of the community have implied their presence at the event.

Seventy businesses and organizations can potentially be involved in the event.

Additional revenue will come from the selling of T-shirts, reusable water bottles and donations.

The discussion lasted 1.5 hours- an hour over the scheduled discussion time.

The DASB Senate will meet Wednesday, April 22 in the Student Council Chambers, to further discuss the Baylands festival.