Welcome, student leaders!

From left to right: Kevin Suarez, 19, economics major, DASB vice president,
Julia Malakiman, 18, communications major, DASB president,
Melissa Epps, 19, French and Spanish major, De Anza student trustee on the
FHDA District Board of Trustees.

Graphic by Sam Tovmasian

From left to right: Kevin Suarez, 19, economics major, DASB vice president, Julia Malakiman, 18, communications major, DASB president, Melissa Epps, 19, French and Spanish major, De Anza student trustee on the FHDA District Board of Trustees.

Carla Arango, Staff Writer

The newly elected DASB President Julia Malakiman and Vice President Kevin Wilson Suarez said they are excited about creating a change that De Anza College students will actually see next year on campus.

The new DASB Senate, which consists of 14 senators, the president and vice president will be sworn into office on June 6.

Mia X. Hernandez who ran for DASB president and Jaymar Hardesty who ran for vice president will become DASB senators.

The first thing Malakiman and Suarez plan on doing once in office will be to “get together with senators and go over what we want to accomplish as a team,” said Julia Malakiman,  DASB President-elect.

She said several senators who ran with D.A.R.E and EMPOWER were elected so they will have to first discuss everyone’s goals.

The De Anza community can expect them to “continue to give its best service to the students,” said Kevin W. Suarez.

They said they will work on achieving everything they proposed in their campaign and want to prove that they can follow through.

We want to assist students with financial aid and make it less of a hassle for students said Malakiman.

She said she would like like to improve the process for students.

“I’m excited about being in senate and be with people who are willing to help their community,” said Suarez.

Melissa Epps who was elected as student trustee said she would like to work on the Wi-Fi connection on campus.

“Wi-Fi connection is horrible on campus and that’s a main issue that students confront,” said Epps.

“We want to fix it and I know someone who has been pushing for it. We would like to get it done as soon as possible,” she said.

She mentioned she wants to move their office hours outside instead of having them in the Senate office.

“We want to make sure people feel that they can approach us. If we don’t know or hear their concerns then nothing gets done,” she said.

As a student trustee, “I want to be a good representative of the student body.”

Student trustees attend The FHDA Board Meetings and also work with DASB Senate.

“I want to be able to tell students ‘this is what they’re doing with our money and resources.’”

Epps said she is excited to attend the board meetings and be a trustee because she knows great things have come out of the student trustee position.

“Hopefully with this position they’ll listen to me” when it comes to fighting for student issues because she will be representing the entire student body of De Anza she said.

Melissa Epps said she wants students to feel like they can approach her and hopes to be approached about issues on campus.