Pride month activities planned for June by De Anza LGBT community

Cati Mayer, Staff Writer

Throughout June, De Anza College’s LGBT Studies program and the Rainbow Club will present “Equity Is,” a pride month dedicated to the campus’ LGBT community.

Students and staff members will organize scheduled events to support and celebrate LGBT pride.

“Students who are a part of the community will feel more visible at De Anza if they see that they have a voice and presence,” said Nate Mendoza, 20, a ceramics major and vice president of the Rainbow Club.

The Rainbow Club will host movie nights that highlight LGBT identities on June 4 and 11, from 3-6 p.m. in Conference Room A.

The organizers will talk about some of the lesser-known sexualities, such as intersexuality and asexuality, at an LGBTQQIAA conference on June 9, from 1:30-4 p.m. in Conference Rooms A and B.

People outside the LGBT community are encouraged to attend and participate in the events.

“(They) can come and learn about the community and how they can create an ally-ship,” Mendoza said.

He said he expects 20 to 40 students to visit each event and hopes more students will participate and show support.

The highlight of Pride Month will be the parent bring-along on June 20, from 5-7 p.m. in Conference Room B.

“The [parent-bring-along] event’s goal is to educate loved ones of students that are part of the community, ” Mendoza said.

A guest speaker from the nonprofit organization Parents, Friends and Family of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) will speak and answer questions for affiliated friends and family members.

“Equity Is” is sponsored by Pride Heritage Month, the Equity Office, African American Studies and LGBT studies students. The program is funded by DASB.

Mendoza said he hopes the upcoming events will spread awareness and “create a safe place on campus for queer identified students.”