Fall ‘15 Campus Abroad in Florence, Italy

Fernanda Pineda, Staff Writer

Admiring the paintings and sculptures of the Galleria degli Uffizi, photographing the Ponte Vecchio using techniques by Italian photographers or strolling down the streets that have inspired some of the most famous authors are activities students can do when studying in the birthplace of the Renaissance, Florence, Italy.
Classes taught at the Fall ‘15 Foothill- De Anza district Campus Abroad include photography, art history and English, and will be taught by Foothill College professors Kate Jordahl and
Scott Lankford.

The cost is $5,100 plus a $200 security deposit. Tuition and fees are the same as in California.
Financial aid and scholarships are available. If interested, students should make an appointment with the Foothill College Financial Aid office as soon as possible.

Students will be in Florence for 10 weeks, from Sept. 27 to
Dec. 7.

The prospect of 10 weeks of studying, exploring and learning in a foreign country attracts
many students.

“I have never been outside the country and want to visit a country in Europe,” Sandy Athniel, 19, business and human resources major said at an informative meeting April 13. “I want to try new food and experience a culture that I am unfamiliar with.”

Others see it as an academic opportunity.

“I want to study literature, so when I read about the Leaning Tower, I can go and see it. Also, I want to better my Italian,” said Jorge Mandujano, 28, environmental studies major.

Florence’s artistic reputation appeals to students.

“Everyone talks about the artistic aspect of the city and I want to visit it,” said Andrea Delgadillo, 20, nursing major.

Participants can look forward to excursions and visits to museums.

Planned excursions included in the program fees are a one-day trip to Pisa/Lucca and Siena/San Gimignano, as well as three days and two nights in Rome, where the participant will visit the Colosseum, Vatican City and Roman Forum.

Students will be given a museum card which allows them unlimited entries to designated museums and galleries in Florence.

Additional information is found on the Foothill-De Anza Campus Abroad Facebook page.

Students interested should immediately contact the Foothill College Dean of Fine Arts, Mark Anderson at [email protected]. He will provide instructions for the
following steps.

It’s essential to speak with a Foothill College counselor since several courses are different than De Anza classes, and Foothill oversees the program; therefore, they will be able to answer any questions and help the student choose the classes they need.

Availability varies, as a result, the quicker students reserve their spot the greater their opportunities of experiencing Florence.