Bitter+Sweet Cafe is posh and pricey

Neda Sarrami, Staff Writer

Walk into Bitter+Sweet café and you’re immediately greeted with a crisp, clean and posh setting, decorated with warm colors. It’s the perfect place to go for a late afternoon snack, or an early lunch.

The inside is spacious, with tables outside for you to enjoy the fresh air. There isn’t a huge menu to choose from, but the drinks are made with beautiful latte art—great for the perfect
Instagram shot.

The spotless silverware provided with the pastries adds to the picture-perfect atmosphere. The truffle cake is one of the most popular options, a chocolate mousse cake topped with a layer of fudge and a single fresh raspberry on top.

The cafe offers Wi-Fi, but you have to request an access code at the register and each person can use the complimentary service for two hours maximum.

It’s an awesome café and dessert bar great for a quick espresso fix with friends, but it isn’t the best place to spend hours studying or working. The cafe’s lunch menu features light salads and several panini sandwich options, but lunch ends at 2 p.m.

Furthermore, the cafe’s heating oven begins to shut down an hour before closing at 10 p.m., so if you’re looking for a warm late-night pastry to snack on, chances are you probably won’t find
it here.

Certain pastries that are not refrigerated or are prepared beforehand may feel a little less fresh and even a bit soggy if you order them later in the day. The French toast tastes best if served closer to opening hours because the butter spread can make the bread soggy throughout the day and you want to make sure it’s not too late to heat it up.

Depending on your coffee drinking habits, you might love it or hate it. To someone who drinks strong coffee frequently, the espresso isn’t going to be very effective. You could order a double shot cappuccino in the evening and fall asleep just fine a couple hours later.

As far as prices go, for a college student on a budget, this café isn’t a place to go to frequently. The prices match the image and environment of the polished and hipster-esque bistro, but the quality isn’t as high as the prices or appearance would suggest.

If you go to cafés looking for customizable lattes with the flavoring of your choice, Bitter+Sweet is not the place to go. Most of the drinks simply include espresso and milk.

If you’re not too picky about the way you like your coffee and you enjoy going to cafés for the artsy feel of sharp but cozy settings, Bitter+Sweet is the perfect place for you. It’s a lovely place to flip through a magazine with pretty snack in front of you, or sit outside with a light salad and a couple friends chatting between classes.

Bitter+Sweet can be found down Steven’s Creek road at 20560, and it’s open from 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.