New Senate sets events in motion, free books, free money, free party

Vanessa Contreras, Staff Writer

The newly elected De Anza Associated Student Body government went to work right away during the summer by planning an array of events and programs for De Anza College students. DASB president, Ze Kenny Li, and his team organized and appointed senators to committees  and have designated projects for each committee.

The DASB’s diversity and events committee teamed up with the Inter Club Council to host a welcome week Sept. 20 through the 22.

As a continuing tradition, students are invited into the main quad where live music will be echoing across the campus and Senate members will be  handing out campus maps.

Events planned for October include a multicultural event on Oct. 5 and a tailgate football party for the De Anza versus Cabrillo College home game on Oct. 9.

Chair members, Lena Ghamrawi and Mariam Azhar are planning speaker events for the fourth and fifth week of school, while Brenden Fant and Allison Chan are planning a Halloween Costume Contest for Oct. 28. Ghamrawi and Dhora Ventura are working with the ICC to plan the second Insomnia dance scheduled for Nov. 19.

The Student Rights and Services Committee has created a book drive that enables students to trade their old textbooks for ones they need the following quarter. Senate members have acquired approximately 150 textbooks and are currently looking for more.

“The program is still in the planning process and will be developed in order for students to benefit as efficiently as possible,” Senator So Choi said.

Chair of Environmental Sustainability Anaruth Hernandez is leading a task force of faculty members working on a project to create a safe space and a community willing to support undocumented  students, also known as “AB540” students.

“We will continue to work on this project as soon as fall quarter begins,” Choi said.

Students will also be able to have their voices heard without attending senate meetings by dropping off any concerns in the concern boxes posted at DASB hosted events.

“Our student concern boxes are looking to be fed by any concerns that we may address for De Anza. This includes reviews for DASB, feedback for programs, complaints about professors’ or students’ misbehaviors, suggestions for the cafeteria menu,” Choi said.

Senate members have also revamped and renamed the Teacher’s Assistant/Aid program, now called The Student Assistant Program.

“[The program] will allow any student who satisfies several requirements such as grade point average or unit amount to participate in classrooms as a teacher’s aid or a tutor,” Choi said.

The tutor is able to support not only the professor but also the students, and by participating in the program the tutor will be eligible for a scholarship specific to the TA program.

“We currently have a draft of the proposal for the program which is being circulated to faculty members interested in the program, for multiple revisions,” Choi said.

The Senate provides $500 scholarships for several students every year.

“As long as the student meets several requirements he or she can be eligible for this scholarship,” said Choi. More information can be found at www.deanza.edu/dasb/scholarships/index.html.

The Senate is also providing free scantron forms during finals for DASB card holding students.  Midterm giveaways will be held nearing finals week, “so make sure to keep your eyes open on campus for a table with scantrons,” Choi said.

Anyone who wants to find more information about the senate’s agenda and their plans for the academic year can attend their meetings on Wednesdays at 3:30 p.m. in the Senate chambers inside the Hinson Campus Center.